2 pounds ground beef
3 tablespoons minced garlic
8 ounces mushrooms, minced
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons dried or fresh oregano
2 teaspoons dried or fresh thyme
2 teaspoons sea or kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 whole strips of bacon
4 strips of bacon, chopped into bits
For the glaze:
1 cup ketchup
1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. in a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. add the mushrooms, chopped bacon and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
3. stir in the cream, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, cayenne, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes at low.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow to cool. If necessary, place bowl in refrigerator for 20 minutes to bring down the temperature.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 and place a roasting pan in it while it heats.
6. To the bowl of cooled veggies, add the ground beef and egg. Stir and mix thoroughly.
7. Using a 9x5x3 loaf pan, line the bottom of the pan with the bacon slices.
8. Add the beef/veggie mixture to the pan, patting it down to make it smooth and even. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
9. Bring a kettle (4 cups) of water to a boil.
10. Place loaf pan in the pre-heated roasting pan and pour the water in the center of the roasting pan to come halfway up the side of the loaf pan. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil.
11. Roast for 1 hour.
12. Combine the Kecthup, cumin, Worcestershire, and hot pepper sauce.
13. After the loaf has roasted for one hour, remove the foil and pour the glaze over the meat.
14. resume cooking until the loaf achieves 155 degrees in the middle (approx 30 minutes).
15. Allow the loaf to rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into slices.