Chicken Fried Steak
2 (.66 - .75 lb.) Cube steaks (flattened round steaks)
½ cup chopped white onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2-3 cups corn flake bread crumbs (available in a box in a the grocery store with the bread crumbs)
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1. Cut the cube steaks into strips and season with salt and pepper.
2. in a large, wide flat shallow bowl, place the flour.
3. in a separate wide shallow bow, place the eggs, beat in ¼ cup milk and 10 dashes Tabasco sauce.
4. in a separate wide shallow bowl, place the ground corn flake crumbs.
5. Heat a very large sauté pan over high heat with about ½ inch of oil in it.
6. Meanwhile, dip each steak strip in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the corn flake breading, making sure each strip is adhered with the flakes.
7. preheat oven to 200 degrees.
8. place steak strips in the pan (do it in batches if necessary).
9. fry strips in the hot oil for 1 ½ minutes, turn and cook for an additional 1 minute. Remove from fry pan and place strips on a paper towel lined baking pan in the 200 degree oven.
10. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the pan. Place pan over medium high heat and add the onion. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
11. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
12. add ¾ cup milk, chicken stock and cumin. Stir together until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
13. Add Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Check for taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
14. Serve the steak strips immediately covered with the gravy.