1 ½ Pounds beef stew meat (shoulder, chuck)
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
1 pound potatoes (yellow/white/red), diced into bite size pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 carrot, sliced into rounds (1 ½ cups)
1 stalk of celery, chopped (1 ½ cups)
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
3-5 dashes hot pepper sauce
1 bay leaf
1/3 bottle red wine
A 12 oz. can of V-8 juice
4 ears of corn, kernels cut off and ears discarded (use frozen if you have to - don't use canned corn unless you must)
1 cup beef broth
salt & pepper
1. In a plastic bag, combine enough flour to coat the meat and the meat slices.
2. In a large saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and brown the meat on all sides.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns and stir.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the beef broth, V-8, wine, and hot pepper sauce and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 75 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots and corn and stir.
9. Simmer covered for 45 minutes more, then serve.